No curative treatment is available for food allergy. Because accidental ingestion of the culprit food can lead to severe clinical symptoms, the patients get advice with respect to their diet, and medication. A proper diet prescription is given with the help of experienced dieticians. The medication that is prescribed depends on the type of symptoms that patients have.
- Elimination diet:
- Reduce the risk of allergic reactions
- Disadvantages: deficiencies, eating disorders, growth retardation
- Emergency medication:
- Antihistamines (H1 blockers)
- EpiPen (adrenaline-autoinjector)
- Corticosteroids (0,5-1mg/kg)